Breaking News Instant updates and real-time market news.

STJ

Acquired by ABT

$79.44

1.78 (2.29%)

, ABT

Abbott

$41.17

0.58 (1.43%)

08:41
10/19/16
10/19
08:41
10/19/16
08:41

Muddy Waters launches website in support of St. Jude short position

Carson Block's Muddy Waters Research unveiled a new website which hosts videos it says show attacks that show attacks that St. Jude Medical (STJ) claim can't happen. The firm, which has a short position in the stock, tweeted, "$STJ left UNIVERSAL KEY backdoor on its ICD pacemakers - easy to discover the key. Grossly negligent ProfitsOverPatients.com." Shares of St. Jude are down 2% to $78.00 in pre-market trading. The company is in agreement to be acquired by Abbott Laboratories (ABT). Reference Link

STJ

Acquired by ABT

$79.44

1.78 (2.29%)

ABT

Abbott

$41.17

0.58 (1.43%)

  • 19

    Oct

  • 19

    Oct

  • 21

    Oct

  • 26

    Oct

  • 06

    Nov

STJ Acquired by ABT
$79.44

1.78 (2.29%)

08/29/16
FBCO
08/29/16
NO CHANGE
FBCO
St. Jude Medical can fix security deficiencies, says Credit Suisse
After speaking with "a developer of software used in drugs/devices" about Muddy Waters' security concerns regarding St. Jude's CRM system, Credit Suisse analyst Matthew Keeler says the consultant believes that the security deficiencies,can be fixed. According to the consultant, the deficiencies can be fixed using a five to ten person team working for about three months, Keeler stated. Keeler does not think that St. Jude's pending acquisition by Abbott (ABT) will be impacted by Muddy Waters' report. He keeps an $81 price target and Neutral rating on St. Jude.
09/08/16
PIPR
09/08/16
NO CHANGE
Target $82
PIPR
Neutral
Piper sees little reason to believe St. Jude deal will not close
Piper Jaffray analyst Brooks West says cybersecurity expert Mark Lanterman during a conference call yesterday refuted security claims by MedSec and Muddy Waters against St. Jude Medical's (STJ) pacemakers, defibrillators and Merlin monitoring system. Lanterman stated that there is "not much meat on the bone" to the MedSec claims and the quality of the analysis, West tells investors in a research note. He notes that Abbott (ABT) yesterday at a competitor conference earlier stated the St. Jude acquisition was progressing toward a close before year-end. The analyst sees little reason to believe the transaction will not close in the planned timeframe. West reiterates a Neutral rating on St. Jude.
09/19/16
JEFF
09/19/16
NO CHANGE
Target $48
JEFF
Buy
Abbott unit sale does not impact Alere transaction, says Jefferies
Jefferies analyst Jeffrey Holford believes Abbott's (ABT) sale of its Medical Optics business to Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) does not imply an increased probability that the Alere (ALR) deal will close. After speaking to Abbott management, Holford thinks the proceeds from the sale are more likely to be targeted towards the St. Jude Medical (STJ) acquisition. He believes that deal has a higher probability of closing than Alere. Holford has a Buy rating on Abbott with a $48 price target.
10/11/16
COWN
10/11/16
NO CHANGE
Target $85
COWN
Outperform
Cowen says St. Jude advisory common for the industry
While Dear Doctor letters are never a positive, St. Jude Medical's (STJ) medical device advisory relating to a low rate of premature battery depletion in the high voltage portfolio is common in the Cardiac Rhythm Management industry, Cowen analyst Joshua Jennings tells investors in a research note. The analyst sees limited risk to St. Jude's franchise and still expects the takeover by Abbott Laboratories' (ABT) to close by the end of the year. Jennings keeps an Outperform rating on St. Jude shares with an $85 price target. The stock is down 1% to $80.19 in pre-market trading.
ABT Abbott
$41.17

0.58 (1.43%)

09/29/16
COWN
09/29/16
NO CHANGE
COWN
Outperform
Cowen says views on Dexcom, Insulet not changed by competitor launches
Cowen analyst Doug Schenkel noted that Abbott (ABT) announced yesterday it had received FDA approval for the professional version of its FreeStyle Libre glucose monitoring product and filed the consumer version of Libre, while Medtronic (MDT) also announced FDA approval of its 670G Hybrid Closed Loop system. Schenkel said Abbott's consumer Libre filing comes a few months ahead of his expectations but that Medtronic's timing was in-line with expectations. The analyst said the competitor announcements, which had been expected, do not change his views on DexCom (DXCM), Insulet (PODD), or Tandem Diabetes (TNDM) and he keeps Outperform ratings on all three of those stocks.
09/29/16
ADAM
09/29/16
NO CHANGE
Target $53
ADAM
Buy
Alere risk-reward looks 'quite good' as deal debate nears end, says Canaccord
Canaccord analyst Mark Massaro said he is optimistic that a conclusion of Abbott (ABT) and Alere's (ALR) merger fight is "not far off" and he still believes Abbott will ultimately acquire Alere, though he also thinks the merger may be decided by a judge. Massaro puts a 65% probability on the likelihood the deal closes at the $56 deal price, a 30% chance that Abbott buys Alere at a lower price nearer to $50 per share, and only a 5% chance the deal breaks, making the risk-reward ratio in Alere shares at current levels "quite good," he tells investors. He trimmed his price target on Alere to $53 from $56 an keeps a Buy rating on the stock.
09/29/16
BARD
09/29/16
NO CHANGE
BARD
Dexcom, Insulet could be weighed down by competitive concerns, says Baird
Baird analyst Jeff Johnson said that while the FDA approvals announced yesterday for Abbott's (ABT) FreeStyle Libre Pro and Medtronic's (MDT) 670G were largely anticipated, he believes that both approvals came sooner than most expected, as did news that Abbott also recently filed for FDA approval of its consumer Libre system. The approvals could "change the narrative" in diabetes and could weigh on others in the sector in the near-term, most notably Dexcom (DXCM) and Insulet (PODD), Johnson tells investors. He keeps Neutral ratings on both and maintains an Overweight rating on Tandem Diabetes (TNDM), citing valuation for the difference.

TODAY'S FREE FLY STORIES

Get Full Fly Access

Breaking market intelligence sent straight to you
Our team of experts analyze every news story and filter out the noise to deliver real-time market moving news.
Up-to-date information on important industry events
Get real-time updates on events that are moving the market—from conferences and calls to syndicate announcements.
News focused on the companies in your portfolio
Create up to 12 portfolios with 150 stocks each, and see how active they are in market news.